Do I Need a Special License to Drive a Motorhome or Campervan in Iceland?

Updated: Apr 23, 2019

UK driver's license, valid to drive a motorhome in Iceland

When planning a road trip in Iceland, you're going to have a million questions. This is completely understandable if you're going to a new place for the first time. Things will inevitably be different. It's natural to wonder which things are similar which things are different to back home. One of the many questions that pops up is if motorists need a special license to drive a motorhome or campervan rental in Iceland. As with many things, the answer is: it depends. While most drivers do not need a special license, there are some exceptions. There are also certain conditions that need to be met, such a the driver’s age.

The Same Driver's License for Both Countries

So for the majority of motorists, the standard driver’s license issued by your home country is recognized as valid. In Europe, this means a Type B driver’s license. This driving permit allows you to operate vehicles that weigh up to 3,500 kg (around 3.5 tons or 7,716 pounds). Just to put this in perspective, a regular car is around 2,000 kg and most motorhome rentals in Iceland are less than 3,500 kg. Camper vans fall somewhere in the middle. If you have a Class D driver’s license in the United States or G class license in Canada, for example, the Type B driver’s license is the European equivalent. You don’t need a special license or an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive a campervan or motorhome rental in Iceland.

Australian drivers can use their licenses as well, but please remember that in Iceland we drive on the right side of the road, so a large vehicle like a motorhome might be a completely new experience.

Exceptions to the Rule

There are of course exceptions the the guidelines mentioned above. If you have the equivalent of a Type B driver’s license from a non-European (EEA) or non-Nordic co